SearchSettings.exe comes with the Widgi Toolbar. I uploaded SearchSettings.exe to VirusTotal and it was detected under the following names:
- Kingsoft – Win32.Troj.Generic.a.(kcloud)
- TrendMicro-HouseCall – TROJ_GEN.F47V0716
- ESET-NOD32 – a variant of Win32/Toolbar.Widgi
while the other anti-virus programs didn’t detect anything.
In general it’s difficult to say how dangerous a file such as SearchSettings.exe is. Kingsoft and TrendMicro calls it a trojan which sounds pretty worrying while ESET just tags it as a Toolbar, but somehow it qualified for a signature in their database.
I found SearchSettings.exe while help a friends parents with their computer that according to them ran so slow that “it was impossible to play Tetris“.
We removed SearchSettings.exe, but their computer still ran terribly slow. I didn’t have the time to troubleshoot it any further.
Thank you for the cinnamon rolls! I’d help you remove unwanted software anytime.
SearchSettings.exe removal instructions
- Reboot your computer.
- While your computer is rebooting, tap F8. The Advanced Boot Options should appear.
- On the Advanced Boot Options screen, use the arrow keys to highlight safe mode and press ENTER. The computer should now start in safe mode.
- Start Windows Explorer.
- Browse to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Spigot\Search Settings\
- Delete SearchSettings.exe.
Did you also find SearchSettings on your machine? Did this help you remove it?